Wednesday, July 20, 2005

"Rooftop Roots" RULES!!!



I know it's already been out for a few weeks now (I'm so behind the times, it's kinda embarrassing -- as Goethe once said, "Once a man is thirty, he's as good as dead; it's best to kill him right away"), the above compilation represents, hands down, some of the best music being made by Jews out there today (David Lee Roth's cover of The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" notwithstanding). I'm not going to start an argument about what the definition of "Jewish" music is or is supposed to be -- this stuff is being made by Jews, it's got some Jewish themes, and it's on the bleeding edge. Kinda like me.

As far as I'm concerned, the existence of this music justifies the entire 2 years of the Joshua Venture -- I guess one nationally-relevant, culturally successful venture out of 16 total ain't bad! Uhhh... right? Guys? Hey, where'd everyone go?

Maybe I'm overstating the significance of this compilation. After all, I do have a weakness for mix tapes.

(Hat-tip to MCA for the Goethe quotation (and the 4th Hallmark birthday greeting) -- thanks Holmes!)

1 Comments:

At 5:11 AM, July 26, 2005, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

Great NPR link. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home