Friday, July 22, 2005

Where To Settle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?



Above are what appear to be my friends Simcha and Beth Shapiro and their kids, being greeted by a host of flag-waving Israeli soldiers, upon their making of Aliyah in July of 2003 with a whole bunch of other North American Jews.

I got the photo from the Nefesh B'Nefesh site. I was, in fact, looking for a picture of them -- and there it was! I'm so lucky!

Anyhoo, I was reading my friend MCA's article about his "Aliyah Dilemma," which got me thinking a whole lot about "what in G-d's name am I doing here in America???", when I noticed a link in his "Links" section to a blog called House of Joy. I was like, "Mmmmmm... sounds.... new-wavey. Hmmmrrrrrrr."

Turns out, it's Beth's blog! Freakin' A! And it's a famous blog, at that!

Wow. This has been a pretty Israel-focused week on The Pig of Death. I guess I just keep thinking, as fatherhood intevitably approaches, "Where can my kid get a good Jewish education that won't put his esteemed father and mother directly into the poorhouse? Where should we be thinking about buying a house? Where, after all these years of career-jumping, procrastinating and paying exorbitant rents without garnering a single dot of significant financial equity, do we want to settle?"

I can't go into all the pros/cons of Aliyah right now. I just know two more things:

1) Our friends Nava and Yehoshua are making Aliyah this summer (on the heels of the largest North American Aliyah in the history of the world), and I cannot envision our Jewish community in Riverdale rocking nearly as hard as it currently does without them. And that's saying a lot, as Riverdale, in all modesty, can definitely be counted among the top 5 most vibrant, vital and Israel-focused Jewish communities anywhere in the Diaspora. We just can't afford to settle here.

2) Ofer, the badass-Israeli-mofo-cum-design-legend, just got back from a two-week jaunt in Israel, tan as a leather strap and saying things like, "If you're going to make Aliyah, now is the time -- things are really good over there."

FraaaaaAAAAAAAAA!!!

1 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, July 25, 2005, Blogger houseofjoy said...

How odd to look at someone else's blog and find your picture there... and note the barefaced babyfaced Simcha next me after the great shaving disaster of 2003.

The decision to move to Israel is a big deal, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is the best thing we can do for our Jewish children.
(Our non-Jewish children well that is a post for another day)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home